Volunteer Centres in Hertfordshire have worked with:
Wickes, DSGi plc, Kodak, BT, William Sutton Trust, Holiday Inn, HSBC, Northgate Information Systems, Cadbury Schweppes, Blue Touch Technologies Ltd, Travis Perkins, John Lewis, Camelot, Dacorum Borough Council, Ford Finance, Tesco, Sainsburys, Keystone, Grass Roots Group, Medtronic UK, CPUK.
Volunteer Centres can offer a range of services including:
- Knowledge of local organisations and their need for volunteers
- Details of voluntary opportunities for individuals and teams
- Brokerage service – matching interests, skills and time to voluntary tasks
- 1:1 chats with individuals to find their ideal voluntary opportunities
- Local newspaper publicity for team builds
- Presentations at staff meetings and pre-retirement courses
- Publicity materials – displays at company sites
- Volunteer Speed Matching events at business venues. Offering information on local organisations in a fun event based on speed dating!
Team Building Challenges usually involve basic gardening, painting, DIY skills or fundraising and last for a day.
Volunteer Centres can save businesses research time by identifying local projects that really need doing. This is a cost effective alternative to other team building options.
Centres request a donation to cover administration costs. As a guide, a minimum of £100 to cover a basic “handshake” with an appropriate charity. Volunteer Centres are local independent charities themselves and need support to maintain this service.
Although team building events are very popular, the greater need is often for individuals to offer their help on a one-off or ongoing basis. e.g. as trustees, school governors, business mentors, or web designers to name a few.
See www.do-it.org.uk for ideas – volunteers can even register online.